The reproductive pathology service provides specialized evaluation of reproductive tissues and associated lesions in domestic animal, exotic animal and laboratory animal species.
The following services are offered:
General histopathology of reproductive tissues
- Biopsies or tissues obtained from autopsies (necropsies) may be submitted (testicles, ovaries, male and female tubular genitalia, male and female external genitalia). Includes endometrial biopsies.
- Cost for one site : $70 (shipping and handling not provided)
- Additional sites : $20
- Aerobic bacteria and fungal culture with antimicrobial sensitivity. Cultures can be submitted other locations related to the reproductive tract on request.
- Cost : $90 (shipping and handling not provided)
- Testicular aspirates, endometrial cytologies, vaginal cytologies, mammary gland aspirates, etc
- Cost: $35 (shipping and handling not provided)
Mammary gland biopsies
- Includes evaluation of hematoxylin and eosin stained section. A grade will be provided based on Pena, et al, 2012.
- Cost: $90 (shipping and handling not provided)
Neonatal post-mortem evaluations (< 2 weeks of age)
- Post-mortem evaluations can be performed by submitting formalin fixed samples and frozen tissues to the reproductive pathology service. Post mortem examinations of whole animals are not offered by this service.
Abortion panel (any species)
- Cost: $350 (Note that an abortion panel is automatically included in cases submitted to OSU for full post-mortem evaluation).
Canine Abortion Panel (NOTE - Maternal serology for Brucella canis is recommended over fetal tissue culture for the pathogen if Brucella canis is suspected)
- Placenta, stomach contents, lung (individual organs) – Aerobic culture, Salmonella spp. culture, Brucella canis culture, Leptospirosis spp. darkfield microscopy
- Pooled organ samples (Liver, lung, spleen, kidney, placenta) – Leptospirosis spp. PCR, Brucella canis PCR, Toxoplasma PCR
- FA tests – Canine Herpesvirus-1, Canine Distemper Virus, Canine Adenovirus
Bovine Abortion Panel
- Placenta, liver, lung, spleen, abomasal contects (individual) - BVD, IBR Fluoresent antibody, Leptospirosis spp. PCR, aerobic culture, Campylobacter, Histophilus, Listeria, Salmonella, fungal culture
Equine Abortion Panel
- Placenta, Liver, Lung, Spleen, Stomach Contents (Individual) - EHV Fluorescence antibody, Leptospirosis spp. PCR, aerobic culture, Actinobacillus, Salmonella, fungal culture.
Feline Abortion Panel
- Liver, lung, spleen, kidney, placenta - Aerobic culture, Feline Panleukopenia PCR, Toxoplasma PCR, Feline Leukemia Virus IFA, Feline Herpes PCR, Feline Calicivirus FA
Reproductive toxicologic or experimental pathology services
- Assistance with study design as well as gross and histologic evaluation of tissue is available.
- In addition, slide scanning services (digital pathology) as well as immunohistochemical and histochemical staining services are available in our department for use by the investigator.
- Prices will vary according to the services required. Please contact to discuss a quote.